Wednesday 2 July 2014

God save the Queen, Sherlock and the Muggles

So I conquered my fear of flying, yet again, this past weekend when a bunch of friends and I traversed to London. Having planned this trip a while ago, I was absolutely STOKED to finally be going. I have always wanted to go to London since I was a wee one and first picked up my copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone". I mean, what kid wouldn't want to go to the place where the wizarding world of Harry Potter can come to life?! On top of that, over the past four years I have formed a slight obsession with the Queen and have always dreamed of sitting down for a cup of tea with Elizabeth Windsor. There are a surplus of other reasons I wanted to get to the UK so I was positively bouncing off the walls to get on the plane and just get there.

Hell, I will fly on a hippogriff if I have to...

We get up legit at the asscrack of dawn on Friday May 16th to start our journey. It was myself, and my friends Jenn, Ryan, Raph, Tori, Lauren and we met our friend Colin later on in the day in the city. But our flight was at about 6 am so we all met up at around 4 am to catch a cab to the airport. I have recently been getting no sleep so I decided it would be a 'smart' idea to not sleep at all.....GOOD ONE BRIDGET....I think I had about five cups of coffee and I listened to 'Space Jam' on repeat....




Hahahaha, ENJOY. With the majority of my roommates gone, I BLASTED this and danced along like no other in order to stay awake.....I'm the biggest idiot I know.....

So 4 am rolls around and psycho Bridget who is jacked up on java and excitement is ready to get a move on. We all pile in to the cab and make our way to the airport where we catch our flight. The flight itself was a little over an hour but once we hit London, my caffeinated face was plastered to the window.


After landing we made our way to our hostel and then most of us had to find our way to the Warner Bros. Studio Tour of Harry Potter in Watford. PURE EXCITEMENT. We finally get to the studios and I kid you not, I almost just sat down and sobbed. I grew up with Harry Potter and having the chance to see where the movies were actually filmed and seeing the magic brought to life before my eyes was almost overwhelming. So many times I had to pull myself together.

T'wasn't pretty

We walk in and right at the entrance of the exhibit they have the cupboard under the stairs:


DONE. Tears are a-building...and it only got worse. We walk into this room and we all sit down in these seats and a quick film was played where Emma Watson, Dan Radcliffe and the ever handsome Rupert Grint were standing in front of the doors to the Great Hall talking about the magic of filming. At the end of the clip they walk through the doors and all of a sudden the screen is lifted and right before my very eyes is the front door to the Great Hall. I legit WEEPED through the entire Hall....DRY-HEAVING WEEPED. 


The entire exhibit was purely MAJIKAL and it left me breathless. I was able to see the Gryffindor Boy's Dormitory, Hagrid's motorcycle and the letter that started it all:

I never did get MY letter..............still bitter


Moving from set to set, the crew and I walked through Dumbledore's Office, the Ministry of Magic and of course Diagon Alley. I was in utter bliss. But the creme de la creme was at the end of the tour. My friend Tori had walked ahead and when she came up to me she told me she had to show me something that I for sure wouldn't be ready for. So I follow her up this ramp leading into a darker room and what I saw before my eyes was UN-FRIGGIN-REAL. I walk into this dimly lit room, round a corner and before my eyes is a miniature Hogwarts castle with some uplifting soundtrack music playing. I kid you not, everyone else around me blurred away and it was just me, myself and Hogwarts. Make fun all you want but that was truly one of the most magical moments of my life. Harry Potter has and will always be such an integral part of my life (NERD STATUS) and seeing the castle with my very own eyes was life changing. 


About fifteen minutes, a firedrill and several tissues later, we all hopped back on the shuttle and traveled back to our hostel to mull over sweet dreams of pumpkin juice, chocolate frogs and butterbeer. Day one in London was a success.

Da crew with butterbeer

The next day we decided to take a more touristy route and explore the heart of London so we hopped on the Tube (which was hella clean, by the way) and made our way to the city. We saw all kinds of places like the Camden Market, a museum of Natural History, 221B Baker Street, King's Cross Station as well as Tower Bridge(t), London Bridge(t) and a view of Tower of London. 

'Ello poppet

King's Cross Station: Harry Potter geek out sesh Take 2

BAKER STREETTTTTT

Holmes, Sherlock Holmes. Elementary my dear Watson.

Me and da squatch with the Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge(t)

I'M GOING BACK TO HOGWARTS

I legit was crapping from excitement. I got to see 221B Baker Street, the residence of my true love Sherlock Holmes, posed indecently on Tower Bridge, cried over making my way to Platform 9 3/4 as well as having a major emotional/mental breakdown over having my debit card SHUT OFF. 

Nothing is more terrifying than having zero money in your wallet, a shut off debit card and a dying phone thousands of miles away from home....


Thank god for my dad though because he was the savior of the day. He somehow found a way to wire me money so the next day I just found a store that would allow me to pick up the moolah. To say that I am forever grateful to that man is the understatement of the YEAR. 

With a new pocketful of cash and a slightly lower blood pressure we got ready for our third day in the city. Day three we hit Buckingham Palace in which we saw the changing of the guard. Obviously I wanted to see Lizzy herself and maybe even wee George but beggars (LITERALLY) can't be choosers. Nonetheless it was beautiful out. The sun was shining, the Palace was gorgeous and I couldn't be happier to have money in my pocket to at least buy an apple for breakfast. 

Me carrying the Princess

Changing of the Guard

Why not be SUPER classy in front of the most prestigious place in England?!

Obviously we also saw The Eye, Big Ben, traversed about Hyde Park and hit up the Tower of London. So much history, so little time. To say we were tired by the end of that day......yikes. No words, just sweat. But everything was so worth it. London was such a cool city but I do have to say that it was EXTREMELY expensive. So the whole debit card shutting off bullshit was a valid reason to freak the freak out. I think the conversion rate from pounds to U.S. dollars was about 1.7. THAT IS HEINOUS. So my lunch of fish and chips (which was absolutely heavenly by the way) that was 8 pounds technically was almost 14 dollars *GASP* No thanks. 

Even the plane ride home was a blasty-blast. I was seated next to this mother and son and in the row across the way was the dad, daughter and other son. Obviously I tried to schmooze with the mother and asked where they had been/where they were going. She was from Cork, her husband from London and they had been visiting family in England. Honest to god I felt like their fourth child and I did not hate it one bit. The mom was so sweet, she offered me sweets and mints to chew on as we took off and her son, Charlie was the cutest thing. Did not stop talking the entire flight and the mom and I were OBVIOUSLY budding it up discussing how funny Charlie was. Like two friggin peas in a pod. Long lost soul sisters. When we finally landed back in Cork, Charlie gave me a huge grin and said it was a pleasure to meet me. #STARSTRUCK. 

London was a ton of fun but I had never been happier to be back 'home' in Cork. Getting a good whiff of fresh manure and a nice cool breeze has never felt more welcoming. 

Feels so right

Also I should apologize for posting this so late...I went to London from May 16th-20th....That was FOREVER ago....so sorry. Haven't had a moment to just sit down and breathe, let alone post to the blog. 

Much love, 
~B













No comments:

Post a Comment