Tuesday 29 April 2014

Put Your Paws Up and Live on the Edge (of Glory)

How did this happen? How do I only have one singular month left in Ireland? HOW IS IT ALREADY ALMOST MAY???!!!! *Insert obligatory Justin Timberlake post*

The 90's.....GLORY DAYZZZ

It's true, you know, when they say time flies when you're having fun. I have had an absolute BLAST during my time abroad and now it is practically over. Of course I have always had the 'study' part of study abroad as my first priority, but my study abroad experience has been one of the greatest events to happen in my life. I have seen so many beautiful places and tasted so many delicious foods, but above all I have learned so much about myself. I have witnessed regular, Wheaton-bound, inexperienced Bridget transform into someone completely new. It has been a wild ride to say the least. I have met so many people and have made many more great friends and although I am looking forward to going home and seeing everyone I love back in the States, it is extremely bittersweet. It's odd because before coming to Ireland, I have always seen my future as being in America, particularly in good ol' Massachusetts, but now my eyes have been opened to endless possibilities and I have begun to see my future in other places. I have fallen head-over-heels, madly in love with Ireland and saying goodbye on May 24th will be one of the hardest goodbyes I have ever had to say.

Enough of the emotional crap....ain't nobody got time for that! I am going to miss Ireland, that's a given...


But I am going to walk away from this experience with so much that it hopefully will make the pain subside....at least for a wee bit....so here are a few words to the wise and a few tricks of the trade to new student travelers from my point of view.

One of the most important aspects of this trip that I will take away is the ability to being open-minded. Prior to this trip I was terrified to fly, terrified of new places and terrified of meeting new people. Lo and behold, I have come out on the other side a brand new girl. I am still hesitant to fly but I have gotten MUCH better at dealing with the stress that comes with it. I may not be a pro, but I am well on my way. The whole point of being abroad is to be in new places and to meet new people and I have definitely become more accustomed to this process. Going to pubs and even just walking down the street, I have been exposed to new people on the daily and I have met some incredible people by being open-minded and just striking up a casual conversation, even if it happens to be about cheese. Everyone is so friendly here so that for sure makes my job a lot easier. 

Just be yourself!

Don't be afraid. This has been my mantra throughout my time in Ireland. If you become too afraid to go outside of your apartment, you will be missing out on so many opportunities! Just the other day, my friend Polly and I went for a walk and discovered a beautiful park we had no idea existed. Just a simple walk around can lead to a brand new adventure. It just takes a big step out of your comfort zone to get the job done. As a reluctant hobbit once said, "It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" 


Embrace your inner Gaga. I'm not even sorry for saying it, but for realzzzz....PUT YOUR PAWS UP, BECAUSE YOU WERE BORN THIS WAY BABY. Lady Gaga may be a bit extreme sometimes but she is always true to her creativity and herself and I have kept that in mind this whole time abroad: Be yourself, and live on the edge of glory. Sometimes it is easy to forget who you really are, but as long as you stay true to yourself you will be all set!

Dear God she gives me such strength

As one final important tidbit of knowledge, NEVER forget where you come from. Home can so easily be forgotten if you're having the time of your life in another country, but never, ever, ever forget where you were before the plane ride and never forget the people who helped make the journey possible. 

This song honestly says it all:



(Thanks Colleen for the reference)

I still have one whole month left to enjoy Ireland, so I'll end this emotional crap. Cheers!

~Lady B (appropriate with the Lada Gaga reference)





No comments:

Post a Comment